Monday, November 19, 2007

Stop your whining!

Not too long ago, I was watching a report about a church that was campaigning to get their parishioners to stop complaining. Not forever, just for 21 days. There was some sort of certificate that they were awarded if they completed the full 3 weeks without uttering a single grievance. There was one woman that finally accomplished this goal, but it took her over a year to do so. Basically, if you complain, you have to start all over again from day one.

Well, I kind of forgot about this news report until this weekend. On Saturday I was a total grump. Really not pleasant to be around (just ask my co-workers!). So when I got home, I decided I was going to try not complaining. Not for 21 days, not even for a week, just from about 4:30 - 6:00. Let me tell you, it was HARD! I never realized how many things I grumble about. Not big huge complaints, but something as simple as "it sure is cold in here" or "I'm hungry". I managed to make it until 6:00, but I did nap for 45 minutes of that 90 minute time frame. And the other 45 minutes consisted of me saying things like, "I feel so tired..I'm not complaining though! Just stating a fact." Somehow I don't think that counts as not complaining!

I challenge you to try not complaining for a whole day. Maybe most of you are not as easily aggravated as I am, and will therefore have no problem abstaining from a few rants about the annoyances of your day. Honestly, I really didn't realize how quick I am to complain about things until I made a concerted effort NOT to. If nothing else, I am now aware of it and I am trying to be generally more positive. But how anyone could go a full 21 days without one gripe seems almost impossible! I wonder if silently mumbling to yourself is allowed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I check this blog bi-hourly and it doesn't update enough!

Oh crap.

I just complained about something.

- Brad

Zack Wells said...

Complaining all the time about everything is what makes us from Boston. Welcome home!