Sunday, October 19, 2008

Muppets and mice and pigs, oh my!

When I was growing up I was considered one thing. A nerd. Thick glasses, bad perm and an insatiable need to read. I read anything I could get my hands on and loved going to the library every chance I could get. I turned many pages, but I thought I would share some of my most beloved childhood reads with you.

One of my all-time favorites was The Monster at the End of This Book.


It was SO suspenseful, but then had such a happy ending! And who doesn't love Grover (Elmo is overrated, people).

As I got older my tastes changed and I wasn't much interested in Sesame Street anymore. I was given a book called Alexander and the Magic Mouse and this became my new favorite for quite some time.


The illustrations were gorgeous and would get my imagination running for hours at a time. If only there had been a magic mouse living in my house, my life would have been filled with adventure!

As I entered into early adolescence, my literary tastes changed yet again (as did my hair...enter the bad perm I mentioned earlier) and my favorite go to guide for style and beauty tips was none other than Miss Piggy's Guide to Life.

(Isn't she lovely?)

Within these pages, Miss Piggy gave advice on fashion, love and makeup application (isn't there a saying about lipstick on a pig?.... but I digress). There were great pictures inside and this handy guide went with me everywhere.

Once I went to junior high, innocence was lost. I started reading Stephen King novels and lots of True Crime stories, but the books that will always hold a place in my heart are the ones of my youth.

P.S. Hannah Montana has NOTHING on Miss Piggy.

1 comment:

Pixie said...

I had that Grover book! Aww.